Van Hall Larenstein (VHL) University of Applied Sciences
Growing as experts in transition
Van Hall Larenstein University of Applied Sciences (VHL) is the most sustainable university of applied sciences in the Netherlands and has an international focus. As a knowledge institute, our university of applied sciences combines education provided by passionate experts with applied research within its various applied research groups. VHL trains students to become high-quality, ambitious, innovative professionals who go on to contribute to a sustainable world.
With the Institutional Plan ‘Groeien als experts in transitie’, we provide direction for our education and research for the 2022-2025 period. This plan is the articulation of HVHL’s future and serves as a guide for our policy plans and annual evaluations. The plan was created thanks to the input of numerous partners, students, alumni and HVHL colleagues.
In essence, it concerns 4 transitions, critically important changes that are crucial for a future-proof world. We are making an important contribution to these transitions in cooperation with the professional field and the government. Thus we find ourselves facing a beautiful but daunting task which we will be giving form to in the coming period.
Welcome to Van Hall Larenstein!
At VHL, we prepare you to build your own world. To make a real change. On topics that really matter. Like food safety, climate change, the circular economy and animal welfare. How do we do this? With Bachelor and Master programmes that make impact. Choose your own path and follow a study programme that offers you the skills to build a future-proof world for you and your environment.
VHL has close connections to the international business world and NGO’s. This allows you to apply the theory into practice: besides obtaining highly valued work experience during internships abroad, students go on excursions at companies where they work on real life cases and we invite professionals over to give guest lectures. We strongly believe that international experience is crucial in the development of our students as intercultural competences are required in almost all career fields. Right from the start you will develop a professional network of students and colleagues from all over the world.
The lines of communication in our university of applied sciences are short: our students work in small classes with personal attention from the lecturers. Our programmes are designed to give you the opportunity to make your own choices. This will prepare you for a fascinating career in a professional field that really matters!
Why choose Van Hall Larenstein?
- The most sustainable University of Applied Sciences in The Netherlands
- Unique study programmes in fields in which The Netherlands is the absolute best: no.1 exporter in Europe (agriculture, food & flowers)
- Combine theory with practice
- Over 4000 students and home to more than 40 different nationalities
- Professional orientation: VHL has close connections to the business world and NGO’s. Through projects, excursions and international internships, our students work on real life cases which enhances their career possibilities
- Small classes, personal attention and team work with close student-teacher and student-student relationships
- Two amazing locations: In Velp we are located on the Larenstein Estate: a modern building surrounded by luscious greenery, only a few minutes away from the vibrant city centre of Arnhem. We have second location in Leeuwarden, European capital of culture in 2018. Leeuwarden is a student city with loads of international students, with canals flowing through the city and also closely located to the Dutch islands.
- BSc Animal Husbandry, with the following tracks:
- Animals, Society and Business
- Equine, Sports and Business
- BSc Food Technology
- BSc International Agribusiness and Trade
- BSc International Development Management
- MSc Agricultural Production Chain Management
- MSc Innovative Dairy Chain Management
- MSc Management of Development
- MSc River Delta Management